Translate

Monday 30 March 2015

Sunny Cattails

This month has been an exciting and very growing one for me!

Regarding Art, I got to be part of the #ArtBattle248 in Olds. It is the second time I participated in it and though I have not gone to the final round yet, it's an experience that has been very rewarding.

This year's piece was "Sunny Cattails". The premise of this Live Art Competition is that you must finish the piece in 20 minutes and use the Acrylic colours given. You can use any non-mechanical tools that you want and bring along.

The great part of this experience is that it has allowed me to go to the not so "scholar" part of my painting. Though I practiced before that day - because I didn't want to be caught up at mid-paint when the 20 min, were over - this was not the piece that I practiced the most. I actually only practiced it once. The piece that I had in mind will be part of my next series: "Winter".

Because I didn't paint this piece over and over as much, it was great to see the result and know that sometimes you need to let go of the over-thinking that most of us refer to when placed in "all of a sudden" situations. I remembered that it was not the practicing of that piece fin 20 min., that allowed me to complete something that I was satisfied with and that would be worthy of having my name on. Rather is the continuous practice that happens in and out of the studio, the constant studying of the views, subjects or themes that inspire me and cause me to observe with almost awe; it is the constant sketching even if it is on napkins because that's when I happen to think about something; the constant.... the constant... It is consistency in what we do which allows us to go into another gear and which takes us by surprise because we realize we are ready for another challenge.

I would be lying if I told you I didn't want to win this year, but I would also be lying if I told you I came out of there feeling defeated. I love Art for what it does in people's lives and in my own. I know that by having the realization of what new challenges I want to take on and the understanding of how my creative process has evolved, I won! I won, not against the other amazing artists that participated, but against the artist that I was 20 minutes before my Art Battle round on that day.

Another reason why I loved being part of this experience, is because in this specific location the organizers (Debbie Ohlhausen - Different Strokes Gallery & Marnie Raegan -Ruby Bloom Studios) have made the decision to support a local cause through the auctioning of the pieces painted on that night. Yes, Art is not only for looks! Thank you to all who participated and were part of this, artists and audience alike. I love to be part of a supporting community!

May you continue... continue to be consistent and ever growing in what you do so you are able to become a better you in whatever you do. That is only a part of our growth, but it's the part we can choose and be responsible for.

No comments:

Post a Comment