Translate

Thursday 1 November 2012

Cattails

I love driving, knowing that you are going somewhere always excites me!
The great thing about driving in a country where you can see the change of seasons is remarkable, that is not even considering that the views change according to the sunlight and the time of the day. 

The pond by the South overpass in Innisfail has been a continuous source of inspiration for me. My son and I were coming back home from his music lessons and we were going out for a "Mom-son date" when we spotted the geese in this specific area, so we had to stop since we knew that could be the last sighting before winter would come. After taking some pictures of the geese and my son playing with the long grass, I noticed the beautiful cattails that seemed to be saying "Hey, watch me! Pick me!" so I did. 


When getting the canvas ready to paint them, I thought of going for a more realistic approach. But just like the cattails when taking the photo, other colours and approach were asking me too: "Pick me". I am glad I did! I was able to add some drawing lines and effects with pastel & charcoal that complemented the high relief of the cattails. 

What was the even more surprising factor of this painting? It was not the fact that I liked it, 'cause I did and a lot! But the fact that once in the WVANA Show this past weekend, it was bought in the first 30 minutes! 

What did I learn? Sometimes you gotta let your right brain take over the original plan 'cause you will have fun in the process and guess what? you'll be able to implement the technique you've been studying and loving experimenting with your Art. Hope when you see this piece you like it too :)



Cheers to your right brain that will capture and interpret with freshness the landscape you see over and over as you drive the same roads everyday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment